Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Exploring the Color RED



'Fantasy in Red'        5x7      pastel
sold
Here is another Valentine's Day post from the archives. I am teaching a workshop this weekend!

I wasn't sure what I wanted to paint. I was busy packing for a winter get-away with my daughter. We are headed to Crested Butte Colorado for a little  relaxation before she finishes up her last couple of months of student teaching. I wasn't really focused on doing a daily painting but while organizing art supplies to take on my trip I found a piece of scrap paper with a poppy demo. My mind starting buzzing. Inspiration was born!


Some of my red pastels
 Why not play with red on Valentine's Day!  I decided to take the demo scrap and turn it into a painting. It was on a 5x7 piece of Uart so it had potential. I believe the scrap was used to show a student how to create light on a red flower and tree trunk.

the demo scrap
I grabbed a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and spray the demo until the pastel began to drip. I took a paintbrush and started moving the wet pastel around. The result is below.

After an alcohol spray
Once the pastel was dry I was ready to rework the demo and paint some poppies from my imagination. I took out my tray of overflow red pastels and had fun exploring the various shades of red and pastel brands. It was a fun way to end a day of packing and organizing.

You just never know when inspiration will strike and where it comes from so stay open and go with your whims!

No comments: